Friday, August 9, 2013

friday night yoga

i popped my yoga cherry! and it felt so right. i've done Pilates for years and always enjoyed it, but as i've gotten sicker i have struggled with working out. so in a spur of the moment decision i grabbed my mat and went to a yoga studio that i always drive by on my way home from work.

i arrived early and sat with the instructor/studio owner for 20 minutes. he was so welcoming and kind, asking me about myself, my health and my pain areas. the class was 75 minutes long (intimidating!) so i told him right off the bat that i may need to leave 30 minutes in. he told me that he would individualize each pose to comfort my symptoms, which he completely followed through with. he also divulged that most people are surprised to learn that they become so relaxed in a breathing exercise or pose that 10 minutes go by and they think it's only been one. i wanted to laugh out loud when he said that, knowing myself. i can never calm down or relax, and for the most part i'm stress city.

but true to the yoga guru's words, i melted onto my mat and the session flew by. one minute i was focused on my breathing in beginning stretches, then balancing on one foot, then the next thing i knew i was in a blanket cocoon saying 'peace' to my neighbors at the end.

not only do i feel proud of myself for doing something i didn't think i had the strength or independence to do, but i also feel excited to return. going to yoga tonight was the difference between feeling sort of blah about myself and my day and feeling happy - something i'm striving for each and every day. my awesome teacher gave me a class schedule and i can't wait to go back! what a perfect Friday night :)

oh, yeah. and then there's this:


pumpkin cheesecake. i know it's a tad early to pull out the fall flavors, but just look at it. enough said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment